Prevost Gurus - the Member Funded Prevost Forum
Engine Temperature - Printable Version

+- Prevost Gurus - the Member Funded Prevost Forum (http://www.prevostgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Engine Temperature (/showthread.php?tid=1081)

Engine Temperature - Buckshotmckee - 02-04-2018 22:47

Evening! New to the site. Quick question. I just picked up a 2011 X3 with the Volvo in it. I noticed on the test drive with the mechanic, the engine temp ranged between 210-220. The mechanic said this is normal due to emissions. I just put 1650 miles on it driving home. The temp gauge fluctuated a lot between 210-220. Doesn't seem right to me, but this my 1st Volvo.
Is this normal? Thoughts

RE: Engine Temperature - cmillsap - 02-05-2018 15:10

(02-04-2018 22:47)Buckshotmckee Wrote:  Evening! New to the site. Quick question. I just picked up a 2011 X3 with the Volvo in it. I noticed on the test drive with the mechanic, the engine temp ranged between 210-220. The mechanic said this is normal due to emissions. I just put 1650 miles on it driving home. The temp gauge fluctuated a lot between 210-220. Doesn't seem right to me, but this my 1st Volvo.
Is this normal? Thoughts

If I have read the Volvo D13 500hp engine cooling specifications correctly, the OEM coolant thermostat should start to open at 194*F and be fully open at 221*F which means your engine cooling system should run between those temps based on engine load. Since your engine temps never drop below 210*F, having your engine looked at by a Volvo certified mechanic may be in order. Such things as an improperly functioning thermostat, debris in the radiator or improper functioning of the fan drive may be the cause. Also, a faulty coolant temp sensor or inaccurate temperature gage could be displaying an incorrect reading of the actual temperature.