Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at an XLII -- need advice
09-07-2016, 21:18 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 07:40 by travelite.)
RE: Looking at an XLII -- need advice
Hi Skycheney and welcome to the forum.

I can say that delam factored into my decision to buy an H, but I also love the H's and always have. The stainless steel spaceframe is a big selling point as are the gargantuan pass thru basement bays. My family of six requires this kind of basement storage.

Back to your question. No one knows the answer. Prevost might but if they do they sure aren't talking. You have a few choices: 1) buy an H and forget about it, 2) buy an XLII that has had the rivet fix applied, or 3) buy a coach that hasn't had the fix but before you do take it to a Prevost Service Center for a comprehensive inspection and an estimate on the cost for repairs if required and ask Prevost how much they're willing contribute. Get it in writing. Keep in mind that Prevost is only offering financial help on coaches 10 years old and newer, and even then you may be on the hook for as much as $10,000 of the repairs.

No one knows what the conditions are that tend to lead to failure. Is it heat, humidity, vibration, expansion, flexing, materials, prep, or one or more of the above or something else. No one knows but they will tell you that they know. I simply decided there's too much to be concerned about already with bus ownership without the need to fret over detaching panels.

Some will say that if it's lasted till now the likelihood of a problem becomes smaller with every passing year, yet we know of coaches as early as 2001 and 2002 that have recently had the fix as have coaches as late as 2008 and 2010. There's even a report of a 2016 X3-45 at last years Tampa show showing signs of panel detachment. Prevost will apply the rivet approach to new buses if a new owner requests it. They'll even rivet the center of the panels if desired. That's something that the current rivet fix doesn't address. The panel can be detached at the center but Prevost only rivets the panel at the edges.

Besides, as pretty as that stainless is, it's a PITA to keep it looking that way! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking at an XLII -- need advice - davidbrady - 09-07-2016 21:18

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)