Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi , and am I being realistic?
05-20-2017, 02:21
Hi , and am I being realistic?
Hi, I’m John, a wannabe that’s getting serious about selling my home and buying an early 90’s coach to live in full time. My apologies ahead of time, this is going to be a bunch of questions…

Is it realistic for a 50 something single guy, who is struggling under the cost of home ownership in San Diego to live in a Prevost full time? I’m an experienced Designer/drafter (CAD) and project manager and have been fighting to find steady work here. I can both freelance and work temp positions for small or large companies. When I’m here, I plan on maintaining a base by parking on a friend’s rural property in north San Diego County. The idea is to be a sometimes traveling CAD show. Using temp agencies, Linkedin, etc. to find jobs around the country. Am I dreaming? Or is this lifestyle both possible and as fun as it seems? Friends and family respond like I’m crazy, stupid, or high when I mention it.

From what I’m reading the annual cost of ownership varies based on needing anything more that annual maintenance. But what are the surprises? How often do they pop up on a 25-year-old bus? What do they cost? Can I count on the adage of the better maintenance equals the better reliability? Or do I need to plan for my home possibly breaking down and leaving me and my cats stranded on my way to a new location? If I budgeted $1000 to $1500 a month and saved it for the “unknowns”, would I be safe?

Where do I get it serviced in San Diego/LA?

Is budgeting $70,000 to $80,000 for acquiring a `92 bus and taking care of the initial service needs a reasonable expectation?

How do I find parking for a month or so when going to cities where I don’t know anyone?

Can I keep the house batteries charged with solar panels on the roof while running a high end professional graphics workstation and large monitor as well as the normal house electrical needs?

Are the air conditioning units/heaters reliable to keep my cats safe during the day if I working at an office?

That’s all I can think of now…Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Hi , and am I being realistic? - JohnGC - 05-20-2017 02:21

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)