Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cross Country Trip
07-31-2018, 01:27
Smile Cross Country Trip
Just returned from a 6000 mile 50 day trip. North Carolina to California with stops at the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Santa Fe, the coast of California from Santa Barbara to San Francisco, with time spent in Reno and finally Breckenridge CO before starting our trek back east. Four kids and two adults (sometimes) - total lunacy, out of our minds, we must be craxy adventure... I'm catatonic, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2018, 11:01
RE: Cross Country Trip
David
We are very happy for you and the family on your trip. I am sure it was lots of fun and great time with the Suzana and kids, time you can cherish for ever. Time for kids to start school and to till great stories about their great summer trip "time will never be forgotten".
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hisham Amaral's post:
davidbrady (07-31-2018)
07-31-2018, 20:07 (This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 20:44 by davidbrady.)
Thanks Hish,

The bus ran perfectly of course. The only mishap was a shattered KVH radome. Next year we need to do better campground planning. we went into California w/o any reservations. Luckily we managed to spend 4 weeks at 2 CGs but at one I had to move the bus 4 times to make room for folks with reservations. What a hassle. As usual, we start and end the trip at the Prevost Service Center in Goodlettesville, TN, not for service but to take advantage of the free hookups. We pulled in on Sunday night after traveling 750 miles from Salina KS. I could have driven more if needed - the bus is pure pleasure. It was really great to spend that kind of concentrated time with the kiddos. They change every day. Danny was my chief navigator. W/o him I wouldn't have made the time we did. I had my GPS going and he had his ipad running Google maps and tracking our progress live. Isabella is my chief kisser an hugger, Camilla keeps Daddy fed while driving, and Matthew is my moral support as he marvels at the size and maneuverability of Spongebob. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
08-01-2018, 01:00 (This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 01:05 by cmillsap.)
So, David,

How many hours of driving to travel the 750 miles in one day? If you averaged 65mph, that would have taken nearly 12 hours. That a lot of driving for one person! We have traveled 700 miles in one day but Tela and I shared the driving. Even so, we both agreed we weren't doing that again!. Driving 500 miles in one day is our absolute limit.... That's usually works out to about 8 hours averaging 60mph. Averaging 60mph is hard to do nowadays even on the interstates given the traffic, construction zones and slow downs through the cities.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
08-01-2018, 01:11 (This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 01:22 by davidbrady.)
(08-01-2018 01:00)cmillsap Wrote:  So, David,

How many hours of driving to travel the 750 miles in one day? If you averaged 65mph, that would have taken nearly 12 hours. That a lot of driving for one person! We have traveled 700 miles in one day but Tela and I shared the driving. Even so, we both agreed we weren't doing that again!. Driving 500 miles in one day is our absolute limit.... That's usually works out to about 8 hours averaging 60mph.

Chuck,

The trip home was just shy of 3000 miles and was covered in 6 days. The 750 mile day took 14 hours including a fuel stop, a tank dump stop, and occasional leg stretching stops. We departed at 7:30 AM and arrived at 10:30 PM, crossing a timezone and losing an hour. 500 miles is my preferred daily travel distance. We crossed the Sierra Nevadas, the Rockies at Eisenhower Pass (11500 feet), and the Great Smokey Mountains, with numerous 7000+ feet climbs inbetween.
Day 1: 351
Day 2: 501
Day 3: 485
Day 4: 501
Day 5: 745
Day 6: 304

david brady,

08-01-2018, 11:49
I had one trip like that, and only one and never will I try that again. It was from Rawllins WY to Reno NV we gained two hours going west. That was in 2009 from that trip on never more than 400-500 mile per day. In a car one can speed to 70-75 MPH but in a motor home I kept my speed no more than 62 MPH.
08-01-2018, 13:14
Same here Hish, I run at 63 mph. I want to have lots of acceleration headroom in case of a blow out - my cargo is too precious! My kids often ask why everyone is passing me! I explain about the safety factor and the speed rating of the tires and so on. I also explain to them how a couple extra miles per hour in speed barely effects the amount of distance driven in a given time interval, and how it puts that much more stress on everything including the driver. They enjoy these kinds of talks. If I leave early enough, and if I know my destination well and know that it has easy parking access as the Prevost Service Centers do, then 750 miles is comfortable for me. I should add that I do stop and take a 20 minute nap halfway through. Smile

david brady,

08-01-2018, 23:20
David
Happy you and the family made home safely.
08-02-2018, 15:44
Thanks Hish, BTW, I have 30,000 miles on the bus since I purchased it four years ago. Smile

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)