Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruise Air verse roof top
10-25-2016, 15:00
Cruise Air verse roof top
I am currently looking at an older Prevost which has (3) cruise air units. I noticed most of the new Prevost conversions have roof air. I was wondering if there are any pro's or con's to having cruise air verse roof top units and why the converters seemed to stop using them.

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jerry Kocher
San Francisco, CA
1987 Bluebird PT 38

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2016, 22:46 (This post was last modified: 10-25-2016 22:48 by davidbrady.)
RE: Cruise Air verse roof top
Hi Jerry,

My guess is cost. You can buy a 13500 BTU Dometic Penguin for $800, while a fully setup CruiseAir comes in at over $4K, $3K for the condenser unit and another $1500 for the evaporator and blower.

I guess there are pros and cons to each but I love my 4 16,000 BTU CruiseAirs. They work in the 110 deg F ambient temp of the Four Corners in the summertime, they're quiet, and I don't need to climb onto the roof of the bus to service them.

Other's are sold on roof airs, again mostly because of the cost and because you can pick up a new one at Camping World. CruiseAirs aren't disposable items like Dometic roof airs. They can be serviced and rebuilt endlessly. They offer quiet ducted cooling with virtually no fan noise. They do take up some basement space but in an H3 there's so much basement space this is a non-issue. I have two condenser units mounted in the nose where the spare tire is normally stored and I have two more in the third basement bay port side. Many folks say that they don't work well because they suck hot air off the payment whereas roof airs are exposed to maybe cooler roof air. I don't think there's much difference in air temps hitting the condensing units. By the time the air is sucked in bus body turbulence has thoroughly mixed it. They do cost some to service, but with a set of gauges and a tank of R22 you can do a lot yourself.

Good luck with your search!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
10-26-2016, 15:26
Thanks Dave.

It sounds like there are pro's and con's for either of them. I am leaning towards finding a coach with Cruise airs mainly due to the noise of the roof airs.

It is good to know that they are still serviceable.

Thanks,
Jerry Kocher
San Francisco, CA
1987 Bluebird PT38

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
10-26-2016, 20:28 (This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 20:32 by SKYCHENEY.)
(10-26-2016 15:26)Jerry_94110 Wrote:  Thanks Dave.

It sounds like there are pro's and con's for either of them. I am leaning towards finding a coach with Cruise airs mainly due to the noise of the roof airs.

It is good to know that they are still serviceable.

Thanks,
Jerry Kocher
San Francisco, CA
1987 Bluebird PT38

I like CruiseAir units. You don't have water dripping from the ceiling when condensate drains get plugged up like you do with roof air units. They are also great if you are concerned with clearance height.

CruiseAir's are definately servicable. They are not only used on most H3's but are in most boats as well. In fact, I believe Cruiseair was bought out by Dometic several years ago. They're still around and going strong. No problem finding parts but they are pricey.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)