Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rejuvinate a dull 3M Clear Plastic Protector
03-22-2017, 20:52 (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 20:56 by cmillsap.)
Rejuvinate a dull 3M Clear Plastic Protector
After 14 years and 150K miles, the clear 3M Protector on my coach's front end was dull and full of scratches and marks where rocks, bugs, wind, rain and the sun had damaged it.

I considered removing and replacing it but it's very difficult and easy to damage the paint underneath, especially if you don't know what you're doing during the process.

So I thought "What the hell, since I can't make it any worse, I'll just try coating it with a good plastic clear coat liquid. I found this product at Home Depot and decided to try it.

https://www.rejuvenateproducts.com/produ...pack.html/

I wiped on 3 coats using the wipes wrapped around a 4" long 1" round wooden dowel to help get an even coat all over the 3M protector. I let each coat dry 24 hours before applying another. That stuff has been on now for over a year and the improvement is phenomenal. Obviously, it didn't remove the cracks and scratches but it filled them and made them less noticeable along with adding a nice gloss to the overall finish.

I didn't take a before photo but here's a couple to show you the results.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2017, 08:17
RE: Rejuvinate a dull 3M Clear Plastic Protector
looks nice, Chuck

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty XL Classic
4 Wanderlodges- sold
03-23-2017, 09:54
Unbelievable Chuck.

My 3M shield is very dull, scratched, and oxidized. Donnie Myers wants $1500 to replace it. I'll definitely give this stuff a try first. Thanks!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
03-23-2017, 11:29
(03-23-2017 09:54)davidbrady Wrote:  Unbelievable Chuck.

My 3M shield is very dull, scratched, and oxidized. Donnie Myers wants $1500 to replace it. I'll definitely give this stuff a try first. Thanks!

David and Chuck
I bought a plastic scraper from Harbor Freight that the people that remove the plastic 3M stuff off of my old XL2 used to do the job. I will take pics of the tool used and post .
03-23-2017, 17:21
Thanks Hish, that'd be helpful. Donnie Myers uses steam to remove the shield and he charges $1500 for the job, including installation of new material.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
03-23-2017, 21:39
(03-23-2017 17:21)davidbrady Wrote:  Thanks Hish, that'd be helpful. Donnie Myers uses steam to remove the shield and he charges $1500 for the job, including installation of new material.

David
The guys that did the removal of the 3M stuff off our 04 XL2 charged $400.00 they were done in 2 hours.
Sue and I are going to visit Chuck and Tella next week I will take the tools with me will take picture there.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)