Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Owning a Prevost is Boring
04-18-2017, 15:39 (This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 15:40 by davidbrady.)
Thumbs Down Owning a Prevost is Boring
Try as I might, I can't seem to break my Prevost. I'm so used to keeping To-Do lists as I traveled: this leaks, that squeaks, this rattles, that drips. I often ended a trip with a page or more of fixit items. I turn my four kids loose on pushing every button, working every motor, yanking every door, cabinet, and drawer, multiple times, time and time again. They can't seem to get enough of it, never tiring, and still no list! What gives! Hey, you know I like to travel but I also like a hobby. Maybe I should trade for something else? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2017, 18:24 (This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 18:27 by cmillsap.)
RE: Owning a Prevost is Boring
(04-18-2017 15:39)davidbrady Wrote:  Try as I might, I can't seem to break my Prevost. I'm so used to keeping To-Do lists as I traveled: this leaks, that squeaks, this rattles, that drips. I often ended a trip with a page or more of fixit items. I turn my four kids loose on pushing every button, working every motor, yanking every door, cabinet, and drawer, multiple times, time and time again. They can't seem to get enough of it, never tiring, and still no list! What gives! Hey, you know I like to travel but I also like a hobby. Maybe I should trade for something else? Smile
David,

Try as we may to do a good inspection ourselves to keep our busses properly maintained, we invairably overlook something. Given the complex nature and multiple components on a Prevost, sometimes there can be an issue that needs attention that we may just overlook. Just like the inoperable tag lift chambers that I was unaware of on my bus which I spoke about in a previous post. I'd bet if you have a good Prevost Tech do an inspection on your bus, it is more likely than not that there is something(s) that needs "fixin" on your bus that you are unaware of.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
04-18-2017, 19:07
David- I need a Winegard Traveller installed on my bus- time for a road trip for you guys~

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty XL Classic
4 Wanderlodges- sold
04-18-2017, 21:47 (This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 21:58 by davidbrady.)
Admittedly I'm being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but not the part about the kids hammering on it! There are a few long standing things which I may or may not fix. Judging by the whistling sound they make, I know my tag axle lift chambers could use new diaphragms and there are bound to be a few more items, even if I can't think of them right now, nor could the techs at Burke Christian Tours where I recently had it serviced. In all seriousness, what I'm referring to are the items that break mid-trip. My BB always had a lengthy list upon return. I have notebooks to prove it. I kept all my lists in these notebooks and I have several: tighten this, fix that squeak, AH leaks, tstats need replacing and on and on. All one needs to do is visit WOG to see the myriad of daily problems that the casual owner faces. I find my Prevost simply doesn't break mid-trip. I attribute it to the quality of the build and the fact that the chassis doesn't shake itself to pieces. Don't get me wrong, I love the American icon that the BB is, but oh boy, research and development stopped in the eighties.

Then there are upgrades and it seems Ernie and I have plenty of those, but they're all limited to the audio/visual. Electronics just don't age well. We need a Winegard rally! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
04-18-2017, 23:03 (This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 23:09 by cmillsap.)
David,

I loved my three BBs and so did everyone else. Where ever we went, we were constantly getting compliments on them. But I have to say, I was always fixin on them. I had a "fix it" list too and it seemed to never get any shorter. By the time I fixed an item and crossed it off, I was adding another item to the list. Back then, I was always concerned about being on the road and having a breakdown or something major would go south.

Now, people just want to know who's the entertainer on the bus. LOL. I feel much more at ease and have faith in my Prevost that it will get us to where we're going and get us there safe and sound. That level of trust and comfort adds immensely to the pleasure and enjoyment of owning a Prevost.

There are some things on my coach that could be fixed but I choose not to spend the money to fix them as we don't use them anyway. For example, the Fisher-Paykel dishwasher is a P.O.S. and not worth repairing or replacing. Tela uses it for pan storage instead. One of the four awnings get stuck on extending, I never used it anyway so I leave it as is. One of the bay door electric locks don't work when the button is depressed which causes the dash tell-tale-light to stay illuminated. I've never owned a coach where everything on it worked all the time as they should .

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
04-18-2017, 23:18 (This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 23:22 by davidbrady.)
That's too funny Chuck - I have one of those sticking bay door locks too! Guess it's a common problem. My driver's seat needs an air switch to fix the leaking lumbar support, and my UHF/VHF antenna control doesn't want to cooperate. Probably related to lack of use. But that's about it. I'm racking my brain trying to identify more, and we just returned from a 10 day 1100 mile trip. There are the normal wear and tear items like norgrens, batteries, air springs, and other assorted rubber items, and the normal upgrades that age and modern technology bring, but I'm silly happy with how it performs. Along with not shaking itself to bits and the quality of the build I have to add the quality of the parts. Take the 120VAC headhunter water pump for instance. Compare that to the dual Shurflo's we had in our LXi's. The 24V chassis system is something BB should have moved to ages ago. Remember all the issues with those corroded cannon connectors? How 'bout the issues with the HWH hydraulics, jacks, and leveling system. I recall fixing things multiple times in the LXi. That's where I had to draw the line and shop for a new coach. It's when you fix it and it doesn't stay fixed. Ugh! LOL!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
04-19-2017, 00:13
(04-18-2017 23:03)cmillsap Wrote:  David,

I loved my three BBs and so did everyone else. Where ever we went, we were constantly getting compliments on them. But I have to say, I was always fixin on them. I had a "fix it" list too and it seemed to never get any shorter. By the time I fixed an item and crossed it off, I was adding another item to the list. Back then, I was always concerned about being on the road and having a breakdown or something major would go south.

Now, people just want to know who's the entertainer on the bus. LOL. I feel much more at ease and have faith in my Prevost that it will get us to where we're going and get us there safe and sound. That level of trust and comfort adds immensely to the pleasure and enjoyment of owning a Prevost.

There are some things on my coach that could be fixed but I choose not to spend the money to fix them as we don't use them anyway. For example, the Fisher-Paykel dishwasher is a P.O.S. and not worth repairing or replacing. Tela uses it for pan storage instead. One of the four awnings get stuck on extending, I never used it anyway so I leave it as is. One of the bay door electric locks don't work when the button is depressed which causes the dash tell-tale-light to stay illuminated. I've never owned a coach where everything on it worked all the time as they should .

Chuck
I would not fix the dish washer as Sue never used it since we bought the coach and she did not use the one in our XL2 either. We had a garbage compactor in our H3 but last summer I removed it and installed a cabinet in its place the cabinet is useful, we store the toaster and coffee maker and anything that Sue cannot do without when on the coach. I will be doing the same with the Fisher-Paykel dishwasher soon or take out the all the dishwasher stuff inside it to gain more storage.
04-19-2017, 20:55
Ya'll are hitting the nail on the head!!

Even though I love my bird and the attention it sometimes draws, it stresses me out!

Jerry Kocher
1987 PT38 8V92
San Francisco, CA

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
04-20-2017, 20:18 (This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 20:20 by cmillsap.)
(04-19-2017 20:55)Jerry_94110 Wrote:  Ya'll are hitting the nail on the head!!

Even though I love my bird and the attention it sometimes draws, it stresses me out!

Jerry Kocher
1987 PT38 8V92
San Francisco, CA

Hey Jerry,

The only time I get stressed out now is when I go to pay the bill after having work done on my coach at Prevost and Marathon. I tell myself: Aw hell, it's only money! LOL

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
06-25-2017, 23:07
Gee, and here I've been looking and looking and looking for the "right" Wanderlodge for the past couple of years thinking they were real sturdy, reliable and safe...

Now, I'm looking at Prevost....

Just how do you think the Prevost compares safety wise to the Wanderlodge and other mo-hos?

It doesn't really matter - now does it?Cool

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)