Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you level your coach?
04-22-2017, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 19:50 by travelite.)
I'd like to hear about the differences in the converters. I know many of the converters built an automatic leveling system on top of Prevost's Level-Low. Vantare has their system, but I rarely use it. I find that in many cases I don't like how the automatic system proceeds. For instance, I'd rather raise the low side than lower the high side. It has to do with keeping the coach off the bump stops if at all possible, and keeping a minimum amount of pressure within the air bags. So, I almost always level manually using the level-low controls. I also find that the coach can be quite out of level and there's no impact on the slide actuation. In fact, after having extended the slides the coach usually leans noticeably to the driver's side. I like it that way. Even though the rooftops of the Vantare slides are pitched resembling a gable, I don't mind a little more slope to drain rainwater away from the coach.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2017, 23:42 (This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 23:44 by cmillsap.)
RE: How do you level your coach?
(04-22-2017 16:22)davidbrady Wrote:  I'd like to hear about the differences in the converters. I know many of the converters built an automatic leveling system on top of Prevost's Level-Low. Vantare has their system, but I rarely use it. I find that in many cases I don't like how the automatic system proceeds. For instance, I'd rather raise the low side than lower the high side. It has to do with keeping the coach off the bump stops if at all possible, and keeping a minimum amount of pressure within the air bags. So, I almost always level manually using the level-low controls. I also find that the coach can be quite out of level and there's no impact on the slide actuation. In fact, after having extended the slides the coach usually leans noticeably to the driver's side. I like it that way. Even though the rooftops of the Vantare slides are pitched resembling a gable, I don't mind a little more slope to drain rainwater away from the coach.

David,
As you know, being a previous owner of a Wanderlodge equipped with slides, the HWH hydraulic slide controls incorporated a sequence to level the coach using the hydraulic jacks first before the slide would extend or retract. As I understand it, the reason was that there was little tolerance between the slide body and the wall opening which demanded the chassis be level and square before operating the slide. It was a pain to follow the instructions to operate the slide as it could be confusing and easily mis-followed causing the slide operation to malfunction.

Apparently, being perfectly level before operating the slide is not a prerequisite with a Prevost manufactured slide. I don’t know if slides manufacture by other makers such as Valid and (I think) Vantare which were fitted to the Prevost chassis requires any chassis leveling before operating the slides.

On my XL2, the slide’s operating circuit requires that the level-low be off before the slide will function. So, if I were to level the bus before extending the slide then after returning the level low to the off position so the slide would operate, the bus would immediately start to return to road (travel) height negating any leveling I had previously done.

So, my leveling procedure is to first not to park on any RV spaces that look to be more than a few inches off level. Then I extend the slide and proceed to use the Level-Low to level the bus if needed. Once the slide is out, the chassis always leans enough to cause the bubble to be off center but not enough for the floor to be unlevel enough to be uncomfortable. If it’s leaning too much, I will raise the driver’s slide just a little. I am almost always able to raise that side to get it level enough without having to lower the passenger’s side. I never dump the air or allow the bus to sit on the bump stops. Last time I was at Prevost, I had them fix all the air leaks. Now I think the bus will stay up for weeks.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
04-23-2017, 11:14
Chuck we hope to do the same in first week of June, to have all our air leaks fix at Mira Loma. We are so tired of not having the air working right had the coach at Stuart FL a number of times, and no fix. Hope this time is a charm.
04-23-2017, 11:52
Thanks Chuck,

You and I think the same. I too only park in areas which are basically level. I did the same with my LXi, even though the LXi, with it's shorter wheelbase and HWH hydraulic jacks could cope with greater slopes. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like Prevost wants you to extend and retract the slides when the bus is at ride height (level-low in drive). With the slides extended, then you use level-low to level the bus. Correct? That approach also works with the Vantare slides. There's no requirement to first level the coach before working the slides on the Vantare. IOWs there's no lockout like there is with the LXi. The Vantare slideout motors are powered by the chassis batteries so it's always good to have the engine running for maximum voltage but its not required. With no air seal the slide actuation is super simple. I pull in, apply neutral and set the emergency brake and turn the knob to "out". There's an led that turns red when cycling the slides and turns green when the operation is complete. Operation completes by engaging the locking pins and raising or lowering the exterior skirts which hide the rams.

BTW, it is possible to work out the air leaks. My coach will stay aired up for months.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
04-23-2017, 14:23
David,

Prevost’s procedure for extending or retracting their slide requires that the auxiliary air pressure be at 120 psi before operating the slide. They need air pressure to perform some actions during the process such as deflating and re-inflating the air seal. Air is also used to blow off the top of the slide before retracting it. The tag is raised and lowered and the pins are extended and retracted. That requires that the engine be running to maintain sufficient air pressure to complete the sequencing. Even with the engine running on hi-idle, enough air is used to cause the auxiliary air gage to drop about 20 psi during the process.

Hish,

Louie is a seasoned and knowledgeable Tech. He has his own bay there and he is their designated Tech to work on converted coaches. He knows about all the little things that differ from converter to converter. You can depend on him to do his best to provide excellent customer service.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
[-] The following 1 user Likes cmillsap's post:
travelite (04-23-2017)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)