Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prevost Garage
11-19-2017, 15:16
Prevost Garage
After looking for storage facilities in our area we realized that the closest facility to accommodate a 45' bus is about 1 hour from our house and there is a waiting list. We decided that since we have another 2 years before retirement we should build our own garage on our hilly property before buying the coach. Might as well get things ready first so the coach can be safely tucked away upon arrival. Due to building setback requirements we'll have to dig into a hill to get driveway and building fairly level. What slope per foot is recommended for driveway leading up to building? Our questions to you experienced owners is what do we need to look out for and what niceties did you, or did you wish you would have incorporated into your garages. We were talking about possibly including a separate septic system if we can get the permit for it. What is the optimum width, length and interior height of building? Do H3-45 require a higher than 14' header on the garage door? Best size and width of garage door? Concrete floor with slight slope towards garage door to allow run-off from a wet coach to drain outside, or is it better to have an actual floor drain in the center of the building? What PSI rating do we need on the concrete floor?
Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2017, 12:51 (This post was last modified: 11-20-2017 13:01 by Dan Young.)
RE: Prevost Garage
(11-19-2017 15:16)cattfuu Wrote:  After looking for storage facilities in our area we realized that the closest facility to accommodate a 45' bus is about 1 hour from our house and there is a waiting list. We decided that since we have another 2 years before retirement we should build our own garage on our hilly property before buying the coach. Might as well get things ready first so the coach can be safely tucked away upon arrival. Due to building setback requirements we'll have to dig into a hill to get driveway and building fairly level. What slope per foot is recommended for driveway leading up to building? Our questions to you experienced owners is what do we need to look out for and what niceties did you, or did you wish you would have incorporated into your garages. We were talking about possibly including a separate septic system if we can get the permit for it. What is the optimum width, length and interior height of building? Do H3-45 require a higher than 14' header on the garage door? Best size and width of garage door? Concrete floor with slight slope towards garage door to allow run-off from a wet coach to drain outside, or is it better to have an actual floor drain in the center of the building? What PSI rating do we need on the concrete floor?

3000 strength concrete is sufficient 5 inches thick 3/8 steel on 12 in centers I have built two one for myselph 30 / 80 14/14 door 16 ft wall height one for my son 30/ 60 same eve height same door size have room for 1/2 bath and park another vechiles beside be sure to insulate smaller bld cost 30000.00 plus door erected I did electric and plb put plenty of lights if you would like pic I can Tex to you not good at e mail Thanks Dan
11-21-2017, 23:12
(11-19-2017 15:16)cattfuu Wrote:  After looking for storage facilities in our area we realized that the closest facility to accommodate a 45' bus is about 1 hour from our house and there is a waiting list. We decided that since we have another 2 years before retirement we should build our own garage on our hilly property before buying the coach. Might as well get things ready first so the coach can be safely tucked away upon arrival. Due to building setback requirements we'll have to dig into a hill to get driveway and building fairly level. What slope per foot is recommended for driveway leading up to building? Our questions to you experienced owners is what do we need to look out for and what niceties did you, or did you wish you would have incorporated into your garages. We were talking about possibly including a separate septic system if we can get the permit for it. What is the optimum width, length and interior height of building? Do H3-45 require a higher than 14' header on the garage door? Best size and width of garage door? Concrete floor with slight slope towards garage door to allow run-off from a wet coach to drain outside, or is it better to have an actual floor drain in the center of the building? What PSI rating do we need on the concrete floor?

Dan,
A bus should be garaged indoors when not in use. The weather will take a toll on one parked outside and not protected from the elements. Keep that in mind when you get around to buying one.

Regarding the grade of the approaching driveway, some slope is ok but not so acute that the bus could get hi centered at the transition to the near flat garage floor. The lower body edge and chassis parts ride about 9”to 10” off the roadbed on my bus. I would try to keep the slope at a minimum, especially on the immediate 50 feet of driveway that connects to the garage. Make sure it will work before you pour concrete.

Water and sewer hookups located a few feet forward of where the driver side rear tires will set makes it convenient to fill and drain tanks. The sewer could be hooked to an existing sewer if one is available. A 50A RV electrical outlet with disconnect is needed to keep the batteries charged and is a must have in any new garage.

Size of the garage depends on several things such as available space and budget. Bigger is better if you like plenty of room but the cost of building, cooling or heating is more. A 16’ by 50’ garage with a 12’ X 14” door and 16’ ceilings is sufficient to garage a Prevost. This leaves about 3’ on each side to open bays and walk around the coach although a little tight on the front and rear of the bus. My garage is this size and attached to the car garages in my home. The floor is sloped 1’ to the front door. It is also climate controlled because of the extreme Arizona heat. This size works well for our needs.

An H3-45 will fit under a 14’door.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
11-24-2017, 10:42 (This post was last modified: 11-24-2017 21:31 by Hisham Amaral.)
"In my opinion" My recommendation is to use 6-8 in. concrete along with #5 bar reinforcements and a 4 or 5 K PSI concrete. Unless you have bedrock under the floors the 4 inch will not work.
12-16-2017, 20:27
Cattfuu, I'm new to the forum but I've been involved with building most of my life. A 14' x 14' door should work well. 16' walls will be fine unless you want to get on top of the coach in the garage. In that case, custom trusses could help rather than going higher with the whole building. Concrete needs to be sloped a minimum of 1/4" per foot for water runoff. Additional slope toward the door will help water to drain, but plan on buying yourself a big squeegee to help coax the water toward the door. A 50 amp service plug, water and sewer connection are nice if you can make it happen. Sewer lines require fall so that could help or hurt depending on your lot configuration. And if you're on city sewer, those lines usually run from the house to the street. You could always install a lift pump inside your building and pump the sewage through a 2" line to where you can connect to the main sewer line. And lastly, the concrete slab. If you are removing dirt to clear for your building, that's good, if you have to use fill, that's bad, it will need to be packed. I would do at least 3500 psi (concrete to rock/sand ratio). 3/8" rebar 12" on center is ok for general construction, but here is something extra I'd do. Make a path front to back where the coach will be parked and dig a beam at least 8" deep by about 3' wide. Space rebar 6" apart in that beam front to back and add 4' pieces side to side every 6 inches. There is no guarantee you won't get some cracks, but they should be minimal. This info is my opinion, not a recommendation.[/font]
[-] The following 1 user Likes propjock's post:
travelite (12-17-2017)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)